Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program

Home Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program
Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program(FSTP)

The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents based on being qualified in a skilled trade.


Skilled trades for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these groups of the National Occupational Classification (NOC):


  1. Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades.
  2. Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades.
  3. Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production.
  4. Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators.
  5. Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks.
  6. Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.
  7. The major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations, and they are all skill type B.
  8. You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.
  9. If you do not show that your experience meets the description in the NOC, we won’t accept your application.
  10. Find the NOC code, title and skill type or level for your job.
  11. Federal Skilled Trades Program applications must be made based on the 2016 version of the NOC.



To be eligible to apply as skilled worker the aspirant should: –


  1. Meet the required language levels for each language ability.
  2. At least 2 Years of full time or 5 years of part time relevant experience.
  3. Meeting the job requirement for the particular skilled trade from the NOC.
  4. Valid Job Offer or Certificate of qualification in that skilled trade from of the PNP or Federal Authorities.
  5. Proof of funds.


There is no education requirement for Federal Skilled Trades Program but in case you want to increase your express entry CRS there are two possibilities either you have studied in Canada for High School or diploma or you have foreign education credentials. Which will be assessed after your ECA report (Educational Credential Assessment Report).


Get assessed by the province or territory

You’ll likely have to go to the province or territory to be assessed for your trade. You may also need an employer in Canada to give you experience and training.


To learn more about getting assessed, you should go to the website of the body that governs trades for the province/territory where you would like to live and work. The process is different, depending on where you want to go.


Each website has more details about certificates of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade, and what you have to do to get one.


  1. Alberta
  2. British Columbia
  3. Manitoba
  4. New Brunswick
  5. Newfoundland and Labrador
  6. Northwest Territories
  7. Nova Scotia
  8. Nunavut
  9. Ontario
  10. Prince Edward Island
  11. Saskatchewan
  12. Yukon


If your trade is not regulated by a province or territory, it may be federally regulated (for example, airplane mechanic). You can find out who regulates your trade by visiting the website of the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials.


If you want us to help you out please fill out our free assessment form on www.smartchoice.ae/free-assessment.

Request a Call Back

Get Free Profile Assessment from our experienced immigration lawyers and consultants based in Dubai & Canada 

Call +971 6 595 1424